On Sat, Feb 28, 2009 at 9:48 AM, Ondrej Certik <ond...@certik.cz> wrote:

<SNIP>

Hi Ondrej,

>> If building openmx really benefits from "make -j" you might consider
>> putting something clever in spkg-install to detect "available cores" and
>> maybe build using them...
>
> Yes, but I need this for all packages, so I think I'll rather
> customize my own derived sage to do this automatically. For Michael:
> we'll it's not sage. :)

Is this a jedi mind trick? ;)

<SNIP>

>> This reminds of how Debian is a Linux distribution that dozens
>> (hundreds?) of other custom Linux distributions derive from.  Sage
>> could be the same.  That would be cool.
>
> Ok. I did some progress yesterday:
>
> http://code.google.com/p/qsnake/wiki/qsnake_all
>
> Basically you download 3.2MB tarball and then install everything else
> using "sage -i". That's what I want! There is not even python in my
> qsnake_all. If you type ./sage, it will enter an infinite loop, see my
> wiki above for instructions how to fix it.
>
> However, there is a big problem with dependencies, as you need to
> install the packages in correct order. So I will create some meta
> packages that will do that for me, e.g. scipy-all-0.1, that would
> install all packages needed for scipy in correct order. Or
> sage-all-0.1, that would install Sage+packages. Or mayavi2-all for
> mayavi.

Well, I would not consider the name sage-all-0.1 elegant in this
context. I would suggest you call it qsnake-base or something.

By the way: You don't need

 * boehm_gc-7.1.p1.spkg
 * palp-1.1.p1.spkg
 * graphs-20070722.spkg

You can probably skip

 * blas-20070724.spkg

since it is only there for the LAPACK testers. cvxopt might depend on
it, but I will probably fix that since I plan to remove the blas.pskg
from Sage unless I find another issue.

Since you use an external Fortran just dump all the Linux binaries
from the spkg - you won't need them. The fortran.spkg will also go
away form Sage completely in the 4.0 time frame. We will have a
special OSX quad universal gfortran.spkg that matches with the current
XCode releases. So in any case you can strip down

 * fortran-20071120.p5.spkg

substantially.

> Secretly I hope that it will spark interest of other people, so that
> we can maintain this stripped sage (michael: not sage) together, as I
> think it can do the job for all the people who wanted something like
> python(x,y) for linux. Well, here you have it.

Well, python(x,y) is getting ported to Linux AFAIK. If that will make
a large difference or is even practical we will see, but the main
issue will plainly be that doing binaries on Windows is a lot easier
than on Linux.

> When Sage is ported to windows, I'll try to do the same, even though,
> I don't have any windows here, so maybe someone else will do it for
> me. :)
>
> Ondrej

Cheers,

Michael