Hi John,

Thanks for the fix!  That behavior was driving me crazy.  ;-)  I've
been away for a few days, so I'm sorry I didn't reply to your other
messages as you diagnosed this.

I'll get back to this soon and I'll keep an eye out for any
explanations, in addition to looking at #5610.  I've only written a
few new doctests for this file, but have spent enough time with the
code that I might be able to add some more, more quickly.

While on the topic, is there a need for the global  "_have_dvipng"
variable in this file?  it only seems to be used within the have_dvipng
() function, and nowhere else.  I was thinking of removing it.

Rob