On Apr 16, 10:00 pm, Rob Beezer <goo...@beezer.cotse.net> wrote:
> Hi John,
>
> Thanks for the fix!  That behavior was driving me crazy.  ;-)  I've
> been away for a few days, so I'm sorry I didn't reply to your other
> messages as you diagnosed this.
>
> I'll get back to this soon and I'll keep an eye out for any
> explanations, in addition to looking at #5610.  I've only written a
> few new doctests for this file, but have spent enough time with the
> code that I might be able to add some more, more quickly.
>
> While on the topic, is there a need for the global  "_have_dvipng"
> variable in this file?  it only seems to be used within the have_dvipng
> () function, and nowhere else.  I was thinking of removing it.

In #5610, I added this docstring to the function "have_dvipng"; I
think this description is accurate:

"""
    Return True if this computer has the program dvipng.

    The first time it is run, this function caches its result in the
    variable ``_have_dvipng``, and any subsequence time, it just
    checks the value of the variable.
"""

So I don't think the variable can be discarded.

  John