Hi Carl,

Thanks for the explanation - good to know just why this was
happening.  I'd noticed the tests being run in a different order as I
tried to debug this, but hadn't dug deep enough to discover the cause.

In misc/latex.py how the latex is created often depends on the value
of the boolean EMBEDDED_MODE, typically wrapping the latex in HTML
tags, or not.  So then it must be critical to assume a default value
of this switch and restore that state at the end of example that
exercises the alternate behavior.  Maybe there are other places where
this situation could arise?

Thinking as I write - a randomized order for tests might cause errors
like this to not occur during the review process, but then surface
spuriously during testing after releases?  In the long-run it would
lead to more bullet-proof tests (long-term gain, better tests), but
maybe inject a confusing element of randomness in initial testing
(short-term pain, more heartburn for the release manager)?

An alternative would be to name the examples with names like
"example_0006" so the alphabetical sorting is the same as the order of
the tests in the file.  Just thoughts - I don't have enough experience
to say which makes more sense.

Thanks again for explaining the mystery.

Rob