On 07/08/09 10:56, Ondrej Certik wrote:
>> I'll rebuild VTK on my mac tonight and check how that works.
>
> Many thanks for the update and for working on it. If it cannot be used
> offscreen, then I think it's a showstopper, that will create Mac a
> second class platform, that is incapable of hosting the sage notebook
> over ssh.

Well, without a rebuild I tried running an offscreen script via an
ssh-session and no login with my existing framework build (i.e. not on
Sage).  It fails to run since console access is needed.  So, for pure
offscreen work an X11 build will be necessary.  This is entirely similar
to the situation on Linux.  With mesa you don't get the best hardware
acceleration but get pure offscreen. But with hardware acceleration you
still seem to need to create a window.  So it looks like there have to
be two separate packages, one with offscreen+X11 and the other as a
framework build for the UI.

The framework build approach is easy to do.  The X11 approach seems to
require patching VTK as the visit developers have done.  Would this
work?  My guess is that this should be acceptable if we make it easy
enough to do as two separate spkgs.  Only the VTK package would need to
be changed to enable one or the other.

> Not being able to use a gui, well, I think the notebook is the gui.
> But for some projects I also want to use a desktop gui, with mayavi,
> so it seems the only way to do so in a multiplatform way is to use
> frameworks on Mac.

Yes but with the caveat as above.

cheers,
prabhu