Ondrej,

So I heard back from the VisIt devs and thankfully, they keep really
good records of how they build everything.  What they go through to
build VisIt is insane.  But here are the references that I think could
help you...

Here is their main page for information about building VisIt:

https://wci.llnl.gov/codes/visit/source.html

Here is the "build_visit" shell script that will build visit from
source (check it out, it is 10000 lines long and crazy!)

https://wci.llnl.gov/codes/visit/1.11.2/build_visit

Most relevant to your situation are the build note for different platforms:

https://wci.llnl.gov/codes/visit/1.11.2/BUILD_NOTES
https://wci.llnl.gov/codes/visit/1.11.2/BUILD_NOTES_MacOSX

The Mac build notes have a good description of how to build Mesa + VTK
on OS X.  It is non-trivial and requires patching VTK and its build
system.

If you have questions about this, I would simply join the visit users list:

Cheers,

Brian