On 07/01/09 03:22, Ondrej Certik wrote:
>> If you have questions about this, I would simply join the visit users list:

> Thanks for this, I'll have a look at how to fix/patch VTK to build on
> Mac. I think Prabhu has a commit access, so he can even commit the
> build fix.

Correct, I could do that but will need to get the changes approved and
ensure that this doesn't break anything else. When I was trying to get
this working I thought of doing something similar but if they have
already patched VTK it should make life easier.

I still am a little confused as to what approach we want to choose, the
following are possible.

  1. use framework builds on OS X, William is clearly encouraging us to
go for this -- if any other spkg needs to use a user interface this is
going to be required anyway.

  2. try and setup VTK on OS X to use X11 without any support for
Carbon/Cocoa. This means there is no way you can use a UI even if you
want one.

The one problem I noticed with 1 above is that off screen support on OS
X still needs to create an actual window.  I will have to recheck on
this with a recent VTK build though.

Other than that if (1) above is an acceptable option, this is really
easy to do right away.  We'd have to use a framework build of Python for
sage which is quite easy to do as Brian has shown.  I'll post my various
spkg-install files that I used for my sage-3.4 build or for 4.0.2 if I
figure out whats wrong with my approach building sage on bsd.math!

I'll rebuild VTK on my mac tonight and check how that works.

cheers,
prabhu