On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 4:00 PM, Brian Granger<ellisonbg....@gmail.com> wrote:

> Ondrej,
>
>> Many thanks for this! Some comments below:
>>

>>> Here is their main page for information about building VisIt:
>>>
>>> https://wci.llnl.gov/codes/visit/source.html
>>>
>>> Here is the "build_visit" shell script that will build visit from
>>> source (check it out, it is 10000 lines long and crazy!)
>>>
>>> https://wci.llnl.gov/codes/visit/1.11.2/build_visit
>>
>> This is crazy. We can surely do better. They have one script for
>> everything, that's bad. The way to go is to just make sure every
>> single spkg package builds fine on all platforms.
>
> Yes, the one big script makes life pretty difficult.  But now you can
> see why I have said that building VisIt cross-platform is not for the
> faint of heart.
>
>> So if you look how they install mesa, it's crazy too. Look at how I
>> install mesa:
>>

>> cd src
>> ./configure --prefix="$SAGE_LOCAL" --with-driver=xlib --disable-glut
>> --disable-glw --enable-gl-osmesa
>> make
>> cp lib/* $SAGE_LOCAL/lib
>> cp -r include/* $SAGE_LOCAL/include
>>
>> And this works on *all* platforms, be it linux or Mac. The last two
>> lines can be changed for "make install" on linux, but unfortunately
>> this fails on Mac (it tries to copy .so files instead of dylib), so I
>> just copy things by hand and it works everywhere.
>
> What about getting rid of the X11 stuff like they do.  You definitely
> don't want to link to that on OS X if you are going to be using a

Do Mac systems have /usr/include/X11? the bsd.math has it. If generaly
not, then I still need to tweak the configure to build without X11 at
all, if that is possible (maybe not).

> Cocoa/Carbon based VTK (which you will).  Are you sure that your Mesa
> build works?  .so's and .dylib's are different in more than just name.
>  If the Mesa build system is not setup to properly create dylibs, I
> doubt it will work.

Yes, I am pretty sure this works, at least on bsd.math. I then used my
Cython wrappers for mesa and produces a nice ppm image offscreen on
bsd.math.

Ondrej