Ondrej,

> Many thanks for this! Some comments below:
>

>> Here is their main page for information about building VisIt:
>>
>> https://wci.llnl.gov/codes/visit/source.html
>>
>> Here is the "build_visit" shell script that will build visit from
>> source (check it out, it is 10000 lines long and crazy!)
>>
>> https://wci.llnl.gov/codes/visit/1.11.2/build_visit
>
> This is crazy. We can surely do better. They have one script for
> everything, that's bad. The way to go is to just make sure every
> single spkg package builds fine on all platforms.

Yes, the one big script makes life pretty difficult.  But now you can
see why I have said that building VisIt cross-platform is not for the
faint of heart.

> So if you look how they install mesa, it's crazy too. Look at how I
> install mesa:
>

> cd src
> ./configure --prefix="$SAGE_LOCAL" --with-driver=xlib --disable-glut
> --disable-glw --enable-gl-osmesa
> make
> cp lib/* $SAGE_LOCAL/lib
> cp -r include/* $SAGE_LOCAL/include
>
> And this works on *all* platforms, be it linux or Mac. The last two
> lines can be changed for "make install" on linux, but unfortunately
> this fails on Mac (it tries to copy .so files instead of dylib), so I
> just copy things by hand and it works everywhere.

What about getting rid of the X11 stuff like they do.  You definitely
don't want to link to that on OS X if you are going to be using a
Cocoa/Carbon based VTK (which you will).  Are you sure that your Mesa
build works?  .so's and .dylib's are different in more than just name.
 If the Mesa build system is not setup to properly create dylibs, I
doubt it will work.

>> If you have questions about this, I would simply join the visit users list:

> Thanks for this, I'll have a look at how to fix/patch VTK to build on
> Mac. I think Prabhu has a commit access, so he can even commit the
> build fix.

That would be nice if the patches will work for everyone.

Cheers,

Brian