Strangely after rebuilding under these conditions it is now failing on
mpir (it is capable of building software so it isn't completely
broken):

configure:4497: checking compiler /usr/local/bin/gcc -O2 -fomit-frame-
pointer
Test compile:
configure:4511: /usr/local/bin/gcc -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer
conftest.c >&5
libc.so.1: cc1: fatal: relocation error: file /usr/lib/libmpfr.so.1:
symbol __gmpn_clz_tab: referenced symbol not found
gcc: Internal error: Killed (program cc1)
Please submit a full bug report.

I'm not sure why it doesn't see or use libmpfr:

bash-3.2$ ls /usr/local/lib/libmpfr.*
/usr/local/lib/libmpfr.a   /usr/local/lib/libmpfr.so    /usr/local/lib/
libmpfr.so.1.2.0
/usr/local/lib/libmpfr.la  /usr/local/lib/libmpfr.so.1