William Stein wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 27, 2009 at 12:13 AM, Minh Nguyen <nguyenmi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> FOR supporting 3.4.x:
>
>   [ ] It probably would be easy at this point, since it just means
> fixing ratpoints.
>
>   [ ] This reminds me of when we dumped support for Cygwin in 2007.
> In retrospect allowing that was a big mistake which I regret, because
> it has made getting support for Cygwin back vastly more difficult (in
> fact, so far impossible, since nobody has done it).
>
>   [ ] There is a general principal that compiling code on a wider
> range of compilers is generally a good thing.
>
>   [ ] Some users have non-admin access only on boxes that only have
> pre 4.x gcc's.
>
>  -- William

Just to add that even the very latest release of Solaris (Solaris 10
update 7) on SPARC only ships with gcc 3.4.3. Users using  SPARC
hardware are  unlikely to have root access as it tends not to be used by
home users too much (yours truly is a bit of an exception).

I just checked on 'disk' too, which is running the November 2008 version
of OpenSolaris, and that too only appears to have 3.4.3.

Hence I would say for Solaris support, if we can support 3.4.x it would
be really good.

However, I thought someone said once that Flint also needed a 4.x

I could easily modify my configure script to accept 3.4.x, but still
reject the buggy 4.0.0.

Dave