Carlo Hamalainen wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 27, 2009 at 1:48 PM, Minh Nguyen <nguyenmi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> However, I thought someone said once that Flint also needed a 4.x
>> I don't know about that. Better check with Bill Hart on the minimum
>> version of GCC for compiling FLINT.
>
> I was able to compile gcc 4.2.4 on Solaris 10 x86 but had no luck with
> 4.4.x. If anyone needs to do this I have copy 'n' paste instructions
> here: http://carlo-hamalainen.net/blog/?p=257

I've built gcc 4.4.0 and 4.4.1 on SPARC, but never tried on x86. In both
cases, I used the gcc 3.4.3 in /usr/sfw/bin to do this.

Early next week I will be playing an order for a Sun Ultra 27 with a
quad core 3.33 GHz Xeon, so I'll try that myself soon. I don't know what
the lead time on that box will be though.

I know I have access to Solaris x86 via the university of Washington,
but its a lot nicer to do it locally.

> Also, the 4.4.x gcc binaries via pkgutil (so that's Blastwave or
> something?) don't work on x86.

Again not tried it. GCC is a bit of a pain on Solaris.

> Getting gcc 4.3.x to work looks tricky:
> http://wiki.blastwave.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=449

I believe I've built Sage with gcc 4.3.x, though I am not 100% sure. But
the issue you refer to these seems to be that gcc needs to use the Sun
linker, not the GNU one. Since I've tended to build gcc that way anyway,
I would not have hit that problem.

The fact is the Sun linker seems better than the GNU one. The problem is
that some code sends GNU-specific options to the Sun linker, which
fails. However, I believe I have sorted all them out in Sage as long as
gcc is used to build Sage. In other words, gcc with the Sun linker and
assembler will build Sage ok, although it needs a bit of manual
intervention at one point, as a pari header file causes problems.

I've noticed numerous extra issues trying to build Sage with Sun Studio,
which I can do if the patches at

http://sagetrac.org/sage_trac/ticket/7021

and included.

I recently installed the first release of Sun's Solaris 10 (03/2005 if I
recall correctly). The gcc 3.4.3 in there uses the GNU assembler and
linker. Later versions of Solaris 10 switch to using the Sun linker and
assembler. There is a Sun patch which updates the the gcc to use the Sun
linker and assembler, though I am not sure if they are available without
subscription.