William Stein wrote:

>> Just to add that even the very latest release of Solaris (Solaris 10
>> update 7) on SPARC only ships with gcc 3.4.3. Users using  SPARC
>> hardware are  unlikely to have root access as it tends not to be used by
>> home users too much (yours truly is a bit of an exception).
>>
>> I just checked on 'disk' too, which is running the November 2008 version
>> of OpenSolaris, and that too only appears to have 3.4.3.
>
> I'm not sure how much of an argument that is, since I'm not enough of
> a masochist to try build Sage on Solaris with the system-wide standard
> compilers.

I don't follow that argument.

If the standard compiler will build Sage, it gets over a big hurdle.
Building gcc from source on Solaris is no easy task. Lots of people have
trouble with it.

Lots of people wont have root access on Solaris machines. Neither
Micheal nor I have managed to produce a gcc binary that did not require
LD_LIBRARY_PATH to be set to include the compiler's libraries.

I think Sage binaries produced for distribution would be smaller, as
there would be no need to include various gcc libraries.

So IMHO, if Sage would build with 3.4.x, it would be a big plus.

How much of an issue is it to sort out ratpoints?

Note another issue with ratpoints is that it does not respect CC
http://sagetrac.org/sage_trac/ticket/7038

Dave