> > It may be worthwhile pondering Tim's comment...
>
> >   "NSF will not fund software development that competes with
> >    existing commercial software."
>
> Indeed, that's irritating. What exactly does NSF mean?
>
> Do they mean (1) "no fund for software that competes economically with
> existing commercial software" (Sage  doesn't, because it is free as in
> beer), or do they mean (2) "no fund for software development that
> competes quality-wise with existing commercial software"?
>
> I could understand if NSF doesn't want to fund software developers
> that want to make money by competing with commercial CAS. But I could
> not understand if they denied their support to non-commercial high-
> quality software projects.

My understanding, from a number of similar conversations, is that NSF
doesn't feel comfortable funding proposals whose goal is to implement
something essentially in commercial programs.

However, if you are implementing an improvement to something that is
not software, and need to improve a certain piece of software in order
to do this (for instance, some curricular thingie), you can be ok.  I
think Geogebra would be a case in point, but there are plenty of
others.

Or, if you are implementing something that really doesn't exist in any
other software, or not to that efficiency, you can be funded to do it
in an existing package.  I presume this is how Sage has gotten most of
its funding thus far, though no one has directly responded to rjf's
question on this point.  If I'm not mistaken, the abstracts of those
proposals are available on the NSF website?

By the way, apropos of computational mathematics, AMS has a new book
out on computational topology for beginners... sounds like it's time
to implement persistent homology?  I didn't see that on the list.
Certainly it could be worth contacting some of those folks, unless
it's in Sage... http://chomp.rutgers.edu/ has GPL software with a
Python GUI, for instance, and presumably people like Robert Ghrist are
doing lots with this computationally...

- kcrisman