Simon King wrote:
> Hi All!
>
> On 24 Nov., 01:15, rjf <fate...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>
>> It may be worthwhile pondering Tim's comment...
>>
>>   "NSF will not fund software development that competes with
>>    existing commercial software."
>>

> Indeed, that's irritating. What exactly does NSF mean?
>
> Do they mean (1) "no fund for software that competes economically with
> existing commercial software" (Sage  doesn't, because it is free as in
> beer), or do they mean (2) "no fund for software development that
> competes quality-wise with existing commercial software"?
>
> I could understand if NSF doesn't want to fund software developers
> that want to make money by competing with commercial CAS. But I could
> not understand if they denied their support to non-commercial high-
> quality software projects.
>
> Cheers,
> Simon

Mathematica is a commercial, for-profit organization that is the current
market leader
in computational mathematics. The NSF has said they will not fund
software development
that competes in that market. Exactly what "competes" means is open to
interpretation.

Axiom's goals are all research and educational, which is exactly the
reason why NSF exists.
I hardly expect Mathematica to release a fully open, fully literate
version that can be used
as teaching material for computational mathematics so I don't see the
competitive aspects.

As I understand Sage's stated goal, the project IS intended to compete
with, and displace
the current commercial software products of Mathematica, Maple, Magma,
and Matlab.
(I may be wrong but that's my impression from reading the mailing list
and other sources).

So, given the premise that NSF will not fund competing software
and Sage is competing software
therefore..... Sage will get the lion's share of funding

Because logic is not a required subject.

I DO hope that NSF funds Sage heavily. I want you guys to be very
successful.
I want the next generation to HAVE a computational mathematics program
that is
open source because I fear that the failure of the commercial software
will bring
the whole subject into the dark ages.

Does Sage also compete with Axiom? Ummm, nobody cares, including me.

Tim