On Nov 24, 6:55 am, "Dr. David Kirkby" <david.kir...@onetel.net>
wrote:

> What is so wrong about competition? In the UK, we have a 'competition
> commission'
>
> http://www.competition-commission.org.uk/

Since Sage is given away, Sage makes no money when more people use
it.  I think the analogy with
Boeing and Airbus is not as good as you suppose.

How do you feel about "competition" between 2 organizations attempting
to give away the same thing, more or less?

Does that improve the product?

(I have not followed in detail, but there may be an example in the
fork of Emacs code to several products.  All free?)

Does the existence of  "A new front end for Maxima written in  --
tada-- python"  competing with "A new front end for Maxima
written in --tada--X11"  competing with  .. TCL ...,
OpenGraphics, ... etc etc ...  actually improve Maxima?
While such a competition is relatively harmless when it occupies one
person (who is an enthusiastic programmer in some
graphics package) for a brief time, and typically that person doesn't
know much about Maxima or math,  and it involves
potentially interesting design issues that are still in turmoil in the
user-interface community --- it could become
unproductive if many people are encouraged to (say) spend their time
duplicating complicated algorithms, or worse, writing
naive versions of complicated algorithms -- that do not quite do the
hardest stuff -- .  That kind of competition is not helpful, in my
view.

RJF