Definition of venerable:

1.  Commanding respect by virtue of age, dignity, character, or
position.
2. Worthy of reverence, especially by religious or historical
association.

For the non-native English speakers (and maybe others)  in the group,
it may be useful to point out that
labeling something or someone "venerable" has a disrespectful tone, at
least to my ear.

If a piece of software is useful, or clever and continues to be
useful, one could simply say it is useful, long-lived, standard, ....
To say that
a piece of software is venerable is to imply that its major virture is
that it has lasted a long time -- perhaps too long a time---  and that
perhaps it is time for it to be replaced.

Would you, for example, refer to the  venerable Todd Coxeter Algorithm
(1936) ? I don't know if there are better algorithms, but it is old.

 If a paper referred to Euclid's venerable GCD algorithm, I would
assume the paper was about some improved method.

It is, of course, your NSF proposal, and you can say whatever you
wish.

RJF