On Feb 6, 2010, at 2:09 PM, Dr. David Kirkby wrote:

Robert Bradshaw wrote:
On Feb 6, 2010, at 12:53 PM, Dr. David Kirkby wrote:
Dr. David Kirkby wrote:
Robert Bradshaw wrote:
On Feb 6, 2010, at 3:58 AM, Dr. David Kirkby wrote:

I've noticed an issue at

http://t2nb.math.washington.edu:8000/

where something fails when using the GUI, but which works at the command line.

import haslib

Are you sure that's not a typo? You probably want hashlib (which should work regardless of OpenSSL being found). I'd be really surprised if "import haslib" (missing h) worked anywhere.
Hi Robert,
yes, you are correct, it was a typo. It is actually
"import _hashlib"
which causes the problem. It works at the command line, but not in the browser.
Doesn't work in either for me.

It does if you set LD_LIBRARY_PATH first on 't2'

$ export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/sfw/lib
./sage
import _hashlib

will work.

I've also got _haslib working on the notebook at

http://t2nb.math.washington.edu:8000

try it and see. You will not get the error you used to get.

So you're confirming that this is not a GUI vs CLI issue. That's good.

I can't see anything wrong with adding /usr/sfw/lib to the search path in python. It can't break anything, and will allow Sage to build on Solaris. Whether it will be 100% functional at run-time is another matter.
No, that won't hurt. The question is why do we need to if hashlib imports fine? We don't need _hashlib.
- Robert

Sorry, I realised the problem - we are discussing two different issues.

On Solaris 10 (SPARC), i.e. t2, this has never been an issue, as python has built ok. There is no need to do anything fancy - it just works. It's probably the case the OpenSSL libraries are *not* found, but the haslib module builds, which is enough to pass the test in spkg-install.

That's good, as its an indication that OpenSSL is not a Sage dependancy after all. (Well, it's not a dependancy for building and starting at least.)

On OpenSolaris, python does not build with haslib, without installing OpenSSL. Ask William - he was the one that told me that installing OpenSSL would solve the problem on OpenSolaris.

I think it would be advantageous to add /usr/sfw/lib to that search path, as at least on Solaris 10, it will give some extra functionality. On OpenSolaris it will not, as the OpenSSL libraries are not installed by default. When they get installed, they install in /usr/local/ssl, and python finds them.

If you're referring to #7761, I'm fairly confident that the errors here had nothing to do with OpenSSL--none of the extension modules were being compiled correctly because -m64 was not being propagated to distutils. (It just so happens that we tried to import hashlib, but importing zlib or something else would have failed as well). The gnutls bugs at #7387 seemed to boil down to the same issue (non-64 bit binaries). Whether it was the lack of OpenSSL that was really causing problems still seems uncertain, I hope they're not, but who knows.

- Robert