Robert Bradshaw wrote:

To see what would happen, I went and grabbed the OpenSolaris image at http://virtualbox.wordpress.com/images/opensolaris/ , installed gcc, moved the openssl directory out of /usr/include, and built Python 2.6.4 from source. The result:

op...@opensolaris:~/Python-2.6.4$ ./configure; make
[...]
Failed to find the necessary bits to build these modules:
_bsddb             _hashlib           _ssl
bsddb185           gdbm               linuxaudiodev
ossaudiodev        readline
To find the necessary bits, look in setup.py in detect_modules() for the module's name.

Failed to build these modules:
_curses            _curses_panel      _tkinter
sunaudiodev

running build_scripts

op...@opensolaris:~/Python-2.6.4$ ./python
Python 2.6.4 (r264:75706, Feb  6 2010, 19:26:31)
[GCC 3.4.3 (csl-sol210-3_4-20050802)] on sunos5
 >>> import _ssl
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
ImportError: No module named _ssl
 >>> import hashlib
 >>> m = hashlib.md5()
 >>> m.update("foo")
 >>> m.hexdigest()
'acbd18db4cc2f85cedef654fccc4a4d8'

So it wasn't able to find or build the OpenSSL pieces, but hashlib works just fine. Thus it looks like OpenSSL is not a prerequisite for Python, hence Sage (as far as I know), after all (which is very good). The spkg hashlib (note the second 'h' you seem have a sticky keyboard...) module test probably pre-dates Python 2.6.4--this should succeed on any successful Python build, and if it doesn't it's probably indicative of a distuitls failure which will bite us all over later on.

- Robert

I've attached a log

http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/attachment/ticket/8152/install.log.gz

to ticket

which clearly shows a failure on what is a fresh install of Solaris 10 03/3005. This can be remedied by setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH the directory /usr/sfw/lib.

This issue does not seems to be totally reprooducible, but I've now seen this on several versions of Solaris, both on SPARC and x86 hardware.

Dave