Robert Bradshaw wrote:
On Feb 7, 2010, at 12:12 AM, David Kirkby wrote:

On 6 February 2010 23:25, Jaap Spies <j.sp...@hccnet.nl> wrote:
Dr. David Kirkby wrote:

Dr. David Kirkby wrote:

[...]

However, on OpenSolaris, the issue is more severe. Both Jaap and William
will confirm that the test in python for hashlib has failed.

To a certain extend. I had opensll installed on Open Solaris, but more than
once
on different places. That causes problems installing python. Once I cleared
this, I could build a proper python having hashlib available.

Jaap

A point made at

http://blogs.sun.com/janp/entry/on_openssl_versions_in_solaris

is installing different versions of OpenSSL can cause problems.

If a user has multiple, conflicting versions of OpenSSL on their system, then I agree there can easily be problems. Of interest to Sage is what happens when OpenSSL is not installed/found at all because of the issues in requiring OpenSSL as a dependancy.

Can you build the python in 64-bit mode, wit no error when
spkg-install check for hashlib whilst ensuring the permissions on ALL
ssl libraries are 000?

I don't have a 64-bit VM handy (and I'm running this in a 32-bit host OS if that makes a difference), nor do I have the time to set one up. Setting permissions to 000 makes no difference to the 32-bit build, which makes sense because if the headers are not found, it doesn't even attempt to link against openssl.

I'm not so sure that is true. When I set LD_LIBRARY_PATH to /usr/sfw/lib on Solaris 10 03/05 (first release), then python would not know where the SSL headers were (they are actually in /usr/sfw/include). I think if it finds the library, then it will link.

As I say, I don't claim to fully understand this, but neither do I think the issue is fully resolved.

Dave