On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 10:10 PM, Dima Pasechnik <dimp...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I recently had a rather unpleasant experience reviewing a ticket that
> shall remain unnamed. It went as follows. I suggested few

Given that sentence it is trivial to figure out what ticket you're
talking about:

It's best if people reading your email can look over the actual
conversation and form their own opinions.

> improvements, asked few questions. Some suggestions were implemented,
> some plainly ignored, along with questions. I suggested few more
> improvements, asked (and repeated) few questions.
>
> The developer grew visibly irritated with each round of exchanges,
> saying that he has very little time, that I should basically implement
> the fixes I suggest myself,  that I do not value his work, that I do
> not care about the project in general, then descending at the end into
> something bordering on a verbal abuse, even though I gave the ticket a
> positive review...
>
> Therefore two suggestions:
>
> 1) it would we good to have a "moderator" who can step in in such
> cases.
>
> 2) eventually, in order to prevent these things getting personal, it
> might be good to have a possibility to anonymise reviewing.

If a contributor to the project is being rude as you describe above,
then *they* are the problem.  It would be much better to not have such
abusive people involved in the Sage project, then to have to resort to
anonymous reviews.    One rude/abusive/poisonous developer can mean
that we don't have 10 (or even 100!) developers next year.

I think in this particular instance whoever was rude should simply and
humbly apologize.  Probably it was an honest mistake in the heat of
the moment.   I've personally been unintentionally rude many times in
the context of Sage, but I (usually) apologize.

 -- William