Hi Dima,

On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 5:10 PM, Dima Pasechnik <dimp...@gmail.com> wrote:

<SNIP>

> 1) it would we good to have a "moderator" who can step in in such
> cases.

Communication within any open source project is bound to be archived
somewhere on the Internet. Contributors need to realize that any
communication is done within a public space. In most cases,
communication between contributors can break down into hostility
merely due to a misunderstanding. In the case you described, I have
actually read the ticket in question. And I believe it is more of a
misunderstanding between you and the patch author, rather than the
case that someone is being rude.

First, it is very frustrating that one has to rebase and rework a
patch multiple times. A case in point is the situation with the
Sage-Combinat team, whose members need to rebase their patches after
each Sage release. I can assure you that such a task is very tedious,
more so when the Sage-Combinat team has a huge patch queue that totals
to a few megabytes in size. In most cases, just doing such a rebase
takes up all of one's energy and time for a few days.

Second, in most cases, the author of a patch is the only person who
understands the algorithm implemented. It can be difficult for someone
to review or indeed to find a reviewer. In the current situation, many
of ncohen's graph theory tickets that need reviews have been in that
state for a long time and no one has had time to do the review. Added
to that is the fact that his linear programming tickets have also been
in such a state. I do sense his frustration. I for one have time, but
not the expertise, so I started a textbook project both to document
the graph theory module and to learn enough background materials to
review tickets relating to graph theory.

Third, in many cases, one can open a new ticket to improve the changes
introduced by a patch from an existing ticket. In such cases, I think
one can suggest this option to the patch author and leave it to them
to either incorporate the changes in the current patch, or to open a
new ticket to implement the change.

> 2) eventually, in order to prevent these things getting personal, it
> might be good to have a possibility to anonymise reviewing.

Most of the time, reviewers are also people who contribute a lot to
improving a patch. We don't want make such contributors anonymous, but
instead to properly credit their ideas, contributions, patches. With
reviewers listed on tickets, I think this encourages them to be more
careful and thorough in their reviews.

--
Regards
Minh Van Nguyen