On 8/12/10 1:29 AM, Dr. David Kirkby wrote:
On 08/12/10 09:00 AM, Jason Grout wrote:
On 7/24/10 2:24 AM, David Kirkby wrote:

Perhaps changing "Rate this" to "Please rate this" might increase the
percentage of people that rate worksheets. Clearly there is not much
interest in rating them now.

Asking people to decide which of 1-5 to rate the worksheet might also be
asking too much (e.g., is this better than the sheet I rated 2
yesterday? Maybe it should be a 4? Or maybe a 3?). Many, many rating
systems these days just have thumbs up/thumbs down choices. Maybe we
should change the rating system to be:

__ thumbs up (or "recommend" or some equivalent)

__ thumbs down (or equivalent)

Of course, this coupled with a page sorting the worksheets by rank will
make the rating system easier and give a bit of incentive.

Thanks,

Jason

That sounds sensible, but I can't help but feel we should have some good
examples available on the server for anyone to look at. Those should be
there as soon as the server is installed. If one sets up a new server
for a uni course and tell the students to use it, there will be no
examples to start with.

Sage is in my opinion a lot more intimidating than Mathematica to start
with. This is what you get when you start Mathematica

http://sage.math.washington.edu/home/kirkby/Mathematica-7-startup.png

There's going to get some examples to look at, and they are going to be
decent ones. They make Mathematica look very easy - only later do you
find out that its far from a trivial program to use well.

Something like Mike May's Just Enough Sage worksheet would be a good candidate for this sort of thing:

http://sagenb.org/home/pub/2347/

Jason