On Sat, Jul 24, 2010 at 4:02 AM, Dr. David Kirkby
<david.kir...@onetel.net> wrote:
> On 07/24/10 10:41 AM, Robert Bradshaw wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, Jul 24, 2010 at 2:24 AM, David Kirkby<david.kir...@onetel.net>
>>  wrote:

>>> I think the issue I have with "published", which someone else in this
>>> thread first mentioned months ago, is that in academic circles one
>>> associates "published" with high quality.
>>>
>>> I can't think of any normal use of the word "published" to mean making
>>> available a set of documents like this.
>>
>> I guess I'd say one publishes a web page, or blog, or photo album,
>> etc. to share it with the world.
>
> But one normally does not aim to publish error messages on a web page. If I
> get to a web page which shows a PHP error, it does not give one a good
> impression.
>
> One does not normally publish out-of-focus photos, but selectively publishes
> good ones.
>
> For one reason or another, people often publish error messages on Sage
> documents.
>

>>> Looking at http://www.sagenb.org/pub/
>>
>> Right now I can't even get to that page :(. Clearly not what we want
>> for a first impression :).
>
> Agreed.
>
>>> less than 10% of the worksheets have a rating. At that level, I don't
>>> think its achieving much myself.
>>>
>>> Perhaps changing "Rate this" to "Please rate this" might increase the
>>> percentage of people that rate worksheets. Clearly there is not much
>>> interest in rating them now.
>>
>> Are we sorting by rating? If so, it doesn't matter if the bottom 90%
>> that probably aren't even worth rating are at the bottom. The problem
>> is that the random first-time-user's ugly code littered with
>> tracebacks risks being the first thing anyone sees.
>
> Exactly. Though once you have a rating, if things get sorted by that, people
> can easily make their items appear at the top. (I'm not sure if Sage lets
> you rate your own documents, but even if it does not, you can easily set up
> an account to do it).

There is little motivation for people to make "bad" worksheets, the
kind we're talking about, sort to the top. Mostly it'll be pages
people are proud of. I'm all for some kind of a superuser ranking
ability as well--doesn't have to be 100% peer to peer.