On Sat, Jul 24, 2010 at 2:24 AM, David Kirkby <david.kir...@onetel.net> wrote:
> On 24 July 2010 09:38, Robert Bradshaw <rober...@math.washington.edu> wrote:
>> On Sat, Jul 24, 2010 at 1:20 AM, David Kirkby <david.kir...@onetel.net>
>> wrote:
>
>>>  http://server/demonstations/number_theory
>>>  http://server/demonstations/linear_algebra
>>>  http://server/demonstations/plotting
>>>
>>> in a similar way to what you suggested above with
>>>
>>> http://server/pub/stein
>>
>> Demonstrations would be a good idea. Also, we could do a "worksheet of
>> the month" or something like that the same way wikipedia does a
>> photo/article/etc. of the month that's deemed to be of high quality.
>
> That sounds a good idea
>
>>> 2) Rename Published -> "Globally Shared"
>>> 3) Rename Shared -> "Privately Shared"
>>
>> I like "Published" and "Shared" better.
>
> I think the issue I have with "published", which someone else in this
> thread first mentioned months ago, is that in academic circles one
> associates "published" with high quality.
>
> I can't think of any normal use of the word "published" to mean making
> available a set of documents like this.

I guess I'd say one publishes a web page, or blog, or photo album,
etc. to share it with the world.

> But I don't have strong views on this. I do however have a strong view
> that there should be some good examples, and that a casual observer
> can not get the wrong impression by their first encounter with Sage
> being a lot of junk.
>
>>> If someone comes along to a Sage server and sees a bunch of tracebacks
>>> and other error messages, it does not exactly inspire interest.
>>
>> And they should ideally be tested too. I think *any* kind of rating
>> system would also help the random, poor quality stuff sink to the
>> bottom.
>>
>> - Robert
>
> Looking at http://www.sagenb.org/pub/

Right now I can't even get to that page :(. Clearly not what we want
for a first impression :).

> less than 10% of the worksheets have a rating. At that level, I don't
> think its achieving much myself.
>
> Perhaps changing "Rate this" to "Please rate this" might increase the
> percentage of people that rate worksheets. Clearly there is not much
> interest in rating them now.

Are we sorting by rating? If so, it doesn't matter if the bottom 90%
that probably aren't even worth rating are at the bottom. The problem
is that the random first-time-user's ugly code littered with
tracebacks risks being the first thing anyone sees.

The demonstrations could be good pages as well, the question is who is
going to create the content, and ensure that it doesn't go out of
date?

- Robert