On 08/12/10 11:03 AM, Jason Grout wrote:

Sage is in my opinion a lot more intimidating than Mathematica to start
with. This is what you get when you start Mathematica

http://sage.math.washington.edu/home/kirkby/Mathematica-7-startup.png

There's going to get some examples to look at, and they are going to be
decent ones. They make Mathematica look very easy - only later do you
find out that its far from a trivial program to use well.

Something like Mike May's Just Enough Sage worksheet would be a good
candidate for this sort of thing:

http://sagenb.org/home/pub/2347/

Jason

Mike's worksheet is the sort of thing I mean. I've not read it in detail, but just a quick glance I can see its worth reading. Seeing that in a list of examples would be good, but seeing a bunch of tracebacks and other error messages is very off-putting.

Likewise I felt William's notebook on The Birch and Swinnerton-Dyer Conjecture was good.

http://t2nb.math.washington.edu:8000/home/pub/18/

for different reasons. Not because it teaches you much about Sage, but because it shows some things Sage can do - embed photographs, create graphs, compute properties of elliptic curves etc.

But seeing things like these below as "published" is in my opinion not good. The first one looks like a failed attempt at spam.

http://t2nb.math.washington.edu:8000/home/pub/20/
http://t2nb.math.washington.edu:8000/home/pub/1/
http://t2nb.math.washington.edu:8000/home/pub/8/

Dave