On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 4:18 AM, David Kirkby <david.kir...@onetel.net> wrote:

>>> This is what should happen.  After somebody implements his algor
>>> in Sage, then
>>> we can (re)move Sympow.  Here's a trac ticket:
>>>
>>>   http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/ticket/9758
>>>

> It would be good to state on the ticket what level of student project
> this is (undergrad, postgrad), and the skill set needed (C, Python
> etc). I expect you would prefer it in Python, though I think
> personally a C implementation like Marks, which you can easily call
> from Python, would be more beneficial to the scientific community in
> general - not everyone is using Sage/Python.
>
> I know if I were a student, I'd prefer a bit more information on that
> trac ticket.

Good idea -- I've posted some stuff there.

> Is there a Sage web page where potential student projects could be
> listed? A student is unlikely to find it on a trac ticket? I believe
> some Sage projects have been done in collaboration with other
> universities - IIRC, there was student at a uni in London who did a
> Sage related project.

I think every open ticket on trac (all >2000 of them) has the
potential to be a student project.  However, during the last year when
I've told prospective students: "try to find a trac ticket to work on"
they almost always disappear and never return.    So something more
organized would be of value.  However, who has the time...

--
William Stein
Professor of Mathematics