Hi all,

On 2013-01-11, Pierre <pierre.guil...@gmail.com> wrote:
> i find very odd, this being said, that sage -optional should recommend
> me to use 4.5.7. And also that the version of sage i have downloaded
> this very week is not the latest one...

I agree, and had the same problem. The latest released stable Sage
version by default tries to install an spkg that only works in the
current beta release.

The problem: The folder in which Gap stores its packages has changed in
Sage-5.6.beta1 (trac ticket #13211).

On a related note: If one authors an optional Sage package (in my case
one for modular group cohomology), those backward incompatible changes
are a pain in the neck. E.g., previously there was a variable
sage.misc.misc.SAGE_DATA, that was simply dropped, and its rôle
was taken by a new variable sage.misc.misc.SAGE_SHARE that did not
exist before and points to a differently named directory. Hence, I guess
that p_group_cohomology is not the only optional package that needs to
be upgraded. Even worse: I believe that optional packages should not
only work with the latest Sage version, but also with the last
couple of previous Sage versions.

So, is there any idea how that kind of changes can be made easier?
In the case of functions, we have a deprecation warning: The function
would still work for a while, but users and developers are warned to
modify their code to not use the function, since it may become
unavailable at some point.

Can similar things be done with constants (like SAGE_DATA)? I could
imagine that one could create a lazy import with a deprecation. Hence,
the attempt "from sage.misc.misc import SAGE_DATA" would not result in
an import error, but in a printed warning to better use SAGE_SHARE.

> incidentally, compiling sage from source (which was also sage 5.5, so
> not the latest one i guess) also failed, on a recent macbook air with
> nothing funny to it. It just went
>
> erreur fatale: AE/AE.h : No such file or directory
> compilation terminée.
> Error building and installing Mercurial

This did not happen to me (and yes, sage-5.5 is the latest official
release, but there is sage-5.6.beta3).

Best regards,
Simon