Hi Volker,

On 2013-01-12, Volker Braun <vbraun.n...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Deprecation works in the Sage library because it is being tested.

Hey, I was talking about deprecation in the Sage library!! What I suggest is
to find a way such that

  sage: from sage.misc.misc import SAGE_DATA

imports SAGE_DATA with a deprecation warning, rather than raising an
ImportError. I think this could be easily implemented using lazy_import.

The value of SAGE_DATA should of course be the name of the folder
containing data, which apparently became SAGE_SHARE.

> Nobody
> can test optional spkgs against a wide range of past and future Sage
> versions.

The users do. And it would be nice if the user just sees a deprecation
warning, when an optional package tries to use stuff *from the Sage
library* that recently became deprecated. In that situation, the package would
still work (in spite of the warning), which is much better than making
the package unusable.

> Case in point, no Linux distribution makes any promises that packages from
> other versions of their distribution work.

Again: I am talking about a published version of an optional spkg that does
not work with *any* published version of Sage. It will only work with a
version of Sage that will hopefully be released soon.

And I think such a situation should be avoided.

> Imho thats the proper solution, and not propping an
> untested deprecation framework and an untested dependency framework on top
> of the spkg system.

I was talking about using the *existing* deprecation framework in the Sage
library for deprecating import statements. Nothing else.

Best regards,
Simon