Hi Volker,

On 2013-01-12, Volker Braun <vbraun.n...@gmail.com> wrote:
> ------=_Part_1251_5192383.1357985444328
>
> Really, your point is that you can't just install spkg version X on sage
> version Y.

That's an over-simplifaction.

My main point was that in this example, the latest *published* optional
spkg version will only work with some recent *unpublished* Sage beta version.

IMHO, the minimal requirement is that the latest published version of an spkg
has to work on top of the latest published version of Sage.

My secondary point was that there should be a deprecation period for
things like SAGE_DATA, so that one can still use it for a while, but
the users and developers of packages get notified that they should
upgrade their spkg in the near future.

The current situation is:
* The user installs the latest Sage version.
* The user needs some optional package for his/her work.
* The optional package does not work (due to some backward incompatible
  changes in Sage).
* The user writes an angry letter to the author of the spkg.
* The author of the spkg recommends to *downgrade* Sage (not nice) or to
  wait a couple of months until the optional spkg is finally adapted to
  the backward incompatible changes in Sage.

I'd rather like that in the situation above, the user writes a polite
letter to the package author telling that the spkg works fine, but
produces some deprecation warnings.

Best regards,
Simon