On Saturday, January 12, 2013 1:44:14 PM UTC, Simon King wrote:

> Hey, I was talking about deprecation in the Sage library!!

No, you are not. The deprecations in the Sage library are at for the user
interface, so that the user doesn't have the rug pulled from under his
feet. The Sage internal implementation has always been free to be changed
without notice.

Yes it would theoretically be possible to also enforce deprecations for all
internal changes. Of course development grinds to a halt as you basically
can't change anything any more.

> > Nobody
> > can test optional spkgs against a wide range of past and future Sage
> > versions.
> The users do. And it would be nice if the user just sees a deprecation
> warning

No, it would be nice if they would get the spkg version that was relevant
when their version of Sage was released. Then things might actually work.
An untested deprecation will not work = fail with an obscure ImportError
and your user will be none the wiser.