On Monday, 6 January 2020 03:13:02 UTC-7, Frédéric Chapoton wrote:

> the wiki promise was written by myself alone, and I think it should be
> changed. I think there will be very few (or  no) people that will desire to
> compile sage 9.0 with python 2. And 9.1 even more. People that want to be
> up to date do not care about py2.
> I therefore strongly vote for the immediate drop of python2, and for
> removing the promise that 9.1 will be py2-compatible

I think that is the most important voice so far. When a single person on
his own accord made a statement and posted it on a wiki page it should not
be considered an official and unbreakable promise. When that same person
wants to pull it back, and for a good reason, why should not we allow this?

We can talk about what would be nice, like running multiple cell servers,
but let's pay attention to a) what is really happening and b) what are
people actually willing to do in the future. I am personally not willing to
work on multiple cell servers - those who really want and have machines
available can quite easily set up their own server, I have tried hard to
make it happen a long time ago. Others HAVE to switch to Python 3 sooner or
later no matter what. Well, that time is now. I've timed the switch as best
as I could releasing Python 3 version on Christmas and giving those
preparing for the new term two weeks to adjust. Even with running another
server some adjustments would be necessary.

Having a deprecation for print statement a year ago would be very useful
and it was discussed and agreed on - as far as usefulness goes. But nobody
actually worked on that change, which, I suspect, would be much easier than
maintaining compatibility with two Pythons now.

I want to reiterate again that I am personally not affected by the decision
made here in any way. But after years of adjusting SageMathCell to new
versions of Sage, IPython, and now Python I think I have some idea of
effort involved for those who do the porting. And I strongly believe that
efforts of these people are too valuable to be spent on this support.