On Tuesday, January 7, 2020 at 2:17:54 PM UTC-5, Jonathan Kliem wrote:

> Just a silly question. How do we know that the code remains python2
> compatible in the first place?
>
> As far as I can see all the patchbots run python3 so it is very easy to
> break something. 9.0 is supposed to be fully python2 compatible, but are
> the doctests being tested for that?

I think on sage-release at least a few people are testing for this, or have
been, at any rate.

> If we don't test the upcoming tickets for python2 compatibility, we have
> de facto stopped supporting python2 already.

If we have a few people run with the python 2 config for 9.1 I think that
is reasonable.  We don't claim the betas are py2 compatible.

But yes, if we were to support both long-term (not that we are), one would
want that to be the case.

I'll once again ask if someone knows how I might (easily) make a py2 binary
for Sage 9.0 using binary-pkg.  I don't think I can necessarily use the
configure command before running that since everything happens "inside" of
binary-pkg.

Thanks,
- kcrisman