This is just some clarification and remarks related to what Karl wrote, and
not really super relevant to this thread...

On Monday, January 6, 2020 at 7:17:16 AM UTC-8, kcrisman wrote:

> Because a lot of Sage users are also developers (presumably a higher
> proportion than for Python or Mathematica!), a lot of Sage work has had
> developers in mind.  However, I think it is pretty important to pay
> attention to the users, the vast majority of whom we don't ever hear from,
> since they aren't paying for Sage.
>
> As an example, if there were a coordinated strategy that a company would
> make, I can't imagine that there wouldn't have been two versions of Sage
> cell server going at once - or even an addition (temporary) to the
> drop-down menu saying "Sage with Python 2", for transitioning.

For CoCalc (run by a company), we have many different versions of Sage
installed for projects to use.  For Jupyter  notebooks, users just
explicitly select whatever version they want (via kernel selection), and it
stays selected unless they change it.  For the sage command line, we have a
"sage_select" command to set the default, or the user can type
"sage-[version]" to get a specific version.

/ext/bin/sage_select <version>
Available versions: develop, 8.2, 8.3, 8.4, 8.5, 8.6, 8.7, 8.8, 8.9, 9.0

For Sage worksheets, they just use whatever is "sage" in the PATH, which is
a problem since there's a TON of python2 content used on cocalc, much made
by paying customers (with thousands of students), so we can't break it.
We've been discussing how to move forward, slowly but surely, here
https://github.com/sagemathinc/cocalc/issues/4212/. It's a confusing and
tricky problem because Sage worksheets don't encode the version of Sage
they use (dumb design decision by me) -- Jupyter is much better in this
regard.   In any case, we don't have the luxury of break things for our
paying customers.

> I don't know if I want to ask the very capable, but very busy, Andrey N.
> to do that!  But once again, sage-devel will never know, because the users
> didn't pay anything,

Users (at least UTMOST) does sometimes pay a little bit to cover some
hosting (thanks NSF!), but it doesn't cover what Andrey does, and I fully
support his decision.  I wish I had the money to pay to support maintenance
of other versions of the Sage cell server, but I don't.

William