On Mon, Jan 6, 2020 at 7:23 PM Travis Scrimshaw <tsc...@ucdavis.edu> wrote:

> I agree that the Python3 only version of Sage should be called 10.0 given the
> large backwards incompatible changes that result from the Python3 change.
> Furthermore, I also concur that we should release a version 9.1 (on an
> accelerated schedule) that is our official deprecation version telling people
> they will need to adapt their code in the next version.

This would be the right thing to do from a software maintenance
standpoint and from a user-facing standpoint.  The vast majority of
Sage users are NOT developers and this community has too much a habit
in general of moving fast and breaking things for the short-term
benefit of power-users/developers (who in general are more able to run
their own builds as needed).

As it is I think we rushed too fast into a Python 3 default release
but in that case I think it was necessary and unavoidable.  Now that
that's out (grace à Frédéric) we can take a minute to reflect on how
that transition goes for users and make the first Python 3-only
release even stronger.