El lunes, 6 de enero de 2020, 8:43:14 (UTC+1), Nils Bruin escribió:

> You could say: there is such a way: just check out 9.0 and build that with
> py2. Perhaps that's enough. However, I would err at the side of caution and
> make a slightly bigger gesture here and still include 9.1 as well -- that
> was published as a definite promise already. Once again, for any piece of
> code where this turns out to be a bother, just wait with the merge until
> 9.2. I don't think it needs to put a very large load on developers. It will
> mainly be a pain for the release manager, so he/she should actually get to
> have a significant voice in this

It's not as simple as waiting for 9.2 to merge them. Some of the pending
changes (ipython 7 and python 3.8 support) require huge patches that touch
lots of files. This means that they will probably need rebasing for every
single beta release (this has been the case until now), which makes it not
really practical to start working on them on trac until the 9.2 cycle
starts. Until then the burden of maintaining the patches falls on the
downstream packagers - and the situation is only going to get worse as new
python3-only versions of dependencies are released and updated on distros.