On Sunday, 5 January 2020 16:24:38 UTC-7, Nils Bruin wrote:

> On Sunday, January 5, 2020 at 2:51:44 PM UTC-8, Nils Bruin wrote:
>>
>> I don't think there's a doubt that we'll drop py2.7 support. This Wiki,
>> however, has been referred to in many places describing the py2/py3
>> transition.
>>

> One of these places is the FAQ, which is official documentation:
>

> http://doc.sagemath.org/html/en/faq/faq-usage.html#can-i-use-sagemath-with-python-3-x
>
> The 9.0 FAQ still mentions:
>
> As of August 2019, most of SageMath works fine with Python 3. However, we
> still consider Python 3 support to be experimental and no official Python 3
> release has been made yet.
>
> That would probably be good to adjust too: there is now an official Py3
> release and I don't think we consider it experimental anymore -- unless
> sage in its entirety is still considered experimental :-).

I fail to see the difference between "officialness" of this documentation
statement that Python 3 support is experimental and the wiki promise that
9.1 will work with Python 2. If the first one is wrong and it is OK to
correct it and move forward, why can't the second one also be corrected?

Those who do want to keep that promise intact - can you please explain who
will be affected and how if we drop Python 2 support? "Regular" users do
not have a choice - precompiled binaries are with Python 3 only. Those who
can build from source and add configure parameters may just as well
checkout 9.0 and compile that.

Note that I am not a particularly active Sage developer anymore - I
maintain SageMathCell, which is switched to Python 3 already. So it does
not affect me and my workload in any way whether 9.1 is Python 2 compatible
or not. But for the sake of those who do work on transition - please don't
force them to spend their valuable energy on a pretty much pointless
compatibility with unsupported languages.