On Sun, Apr 26, 2020 at 7:22 AM Michael Orlitzky <mich...@orlitzky.com> wrote:

> Can we please change how our Trac notification emails are sent? SendGrid
> is absolutely atrocious. I currently have six of their shared IPs
> whitelisted on our mail server to allow these notifications through,
> because they would otherwise be blocked by the many many many blacklists
> that SendGrid is always on for sending spam. Here are those IPs, and the
> number of blacklists that they're on right now (it fluctuates).
>
> Six blacklists:
>
>   https://mxtoolbox.com/SuperTool.aspx?action=blacklist%3a167.89.100.130
>   https://mxtoolbox.com/SuperTool.aspx?action=blacklist%3a167.89.100.175
>
> Four blacklists:
>
>   https://mxtoolbox.com/SuperTool.aspx?action=blacklist%3a167.89.100.176
>
> Three blacklists:
>
>   https://mxtoolbox.com/SuperTool.aspx?action=blacklist%3a167.89.100.129
>   https://mxtoolbox.com/SuperTool.aspx?action=blacklist%3a168.245.72.219
>   https://mxtoolbox.com/SuperTool.aspx?action=blacklist%3a198.21.6.101
>
> Those are all IPs that are actively sending Trac notifications. There
> are two problems with this:
>
>   1. I don't want to be whitelisting spammers on our mail server.
>
>   2. Every once in a while, SendGrid will pick a new IP to start
>      sending Trac notifications from, and the only way I know to
>      whitelist them is that I start missing important notifications.
>
> It's impossible to do worse than this with a five-minute outgoing-only
> local postfix instance. You get a PTR record for the server, make sure
> it's not on any blacklists, and pick one poor sucker to receive the
> "bounced" mail (when someone's Trac email address stops working, we need
> to know and disable it). You might get rate-limited by Microsoft/Gmail
> at first (what kind of volume are we talking about?), but those
> notifications won't get lost forever, and that problem eventually
> corrects itself unlike this one. And it's free.

We talk about 20-40K emails per month.
I believe that one would need a properly configured host
with correcrty set up DNS, SPF, DKIM, etc etc to make many mail servers
happy, as most people have no control over email whitelisting.
And it has to be on a reasonably fast and reliable network, where you
are able to ask admins to allow for an outgoing SMTP.
(here goes "free", unless you are able to utilize resources of some
organisation like a university or a company, or an non-profit
like a Linux distributor, say. A dedicated server
would still cost ~100$ per year at least, I guess, something we can
afford, though)
And it needs to be set up and maintained.

Any volunteers for this job? Michael?

Dima