On 4/26/20 12:11 AM, William wrote:

> We pay $15/month for a plan that lets trac.sagemath.org's send up to 40K
> emails (they charge when we go over).  During the last month, trac sent
> 23,237 emails.     Maybe there is a really good competitor for email
> today.  That page I linked to above says "SendGrid, Mailgun, and Mailjet
> offer a free tier for Compute Engine customers to set up and send email
> through their servers."   I have not investigated Mailgun or Mailjet,
> but would love to hear from Michael Orlitzky if either one of those are
> a reasonable option.

"If what they're doing isn't working, tell them to do something else."

The other two can't be any worse.

I didn't know that the web server was unable to send email. That
precludes the easy solution. It looks like google is just passing the
buck to SendGrid/Mailgun/Mailjet who then allow GCE customers to send
whatever they want, so that any abuse that would have taken place on GCE
now takes place on those three platforms.

Now you need two servers to do one thing. Paying extra for a dedicated
IP with SendGrid/Mailgun/Mailjet would solve the problem (by separating
the trac emails from everybody else's junk), but it's just stupid that
you'd have to pay extra for a second copy of what you already have at
GCE. It's also possible that Mailgun/Mailjet are better at preventing
abuse than SendGrid, and that there would be no problem with them, but
as "bulk email for hire" services I'm skeptical.