On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 11:57 AM, Jason Grout
<jason-s...@creativetrax.com> wrote:

> nsauer wrote:
>> Thanks again for your help.
>>
>> The textbook I am teaching linear algebra from prints matrices
>> with brackets as delimeters. [  ]. Hence when I set a test and
>> write solutions with LateX I wish to use the same notation for
>> matrices as used in the text.
>> But just using the standard way to include matrices from
>> sage into LateX produces matrices inside ( ) delimters.
>> \sage{matrix([[1, 2, 3], [4, 5, 6], [7, 8, 9]])^3}
>>
>> I checked the LateX stylefile for including sage but
>> notation for shape of matrices  is not defined there.
>>

> It looks like this is done in the last line of the _latex_ function in
> sage/devel/sage/sage/matrix0.pyx.  How comfortable are you with changing
> Sage code?
>
> I agree that this should be an option.  Also, the delimiters for vectors
> should be an option.

+1.

How about adding a function to matrix0.pyx that sets a global variable
in that file to the left and right delimiters for matrices?

sage.matrix.matrix0.set_latex_delimiters('[',']')

would set them.  That's minimally intrusive.  Later on somebody could
come up with some grand scheme for customizing latex output, but
please don't until there are a few more use cases.

William