Hi

> I'm going to suggest that interested parties just write a new
> package for Sage, after reviewing existing packages, instead
> of trying to bolt one of the existing packages onto Sage.

I have honestly taken this into account, but there are a couple of
cons:
- nobody is volunteering, so the amount of work-time seems very
limited
- I don't like to reinvent the wheel, that's why I like SAGE so much
- I have very limited experience about Python programming (especially
classes and stuff like that)
- I would like to take advantage of others' experience about designing
a package like that

> Unit conversion and dimensions analysis isn't very complicated,
> so it's probably easier to just write it anew.
> The existing packages have various features, so someone
> can just pick and choose the features they want.
>
> Shameless plug --- I wrote the ezunits package for Maxima,
> which makes extensive use of symbolic computations,
> and has a very convenient syntax for annotating units
> and for unit conversions, and some interesting random
> features; I like this one:
>
> 10000 ` m `` [mile, yard, foot, inch];
>  => [6 ` mile, 376 ` yard, 0 ` foot, 608/127 ` inch]
>
> Maybe ezunits can a source of some inspiration.

I would love that, but I can't read LISP :P

> FWIW
>
> Robert Dodier

By the way, do you think is it convenient to create a new wiki page
about this topic to summarize all this stuff? I have two questions:
first of all, I don't know how to do that, even if it seems pretty
easy to modify an existing page. The second question is: on the wiki
itself, the developers suggest to create a trac ticket with a wish
list, instead of creating wiki pages. Nonetheless, there is that SEP
(SAGE Enhancement Proposal) there, which seems a suitable place to
write.
Last doubt: is anybody going to read it? :)

Thanks

Maurizio