On Jun 12, 2009, at 3:07 PM, Maurizio wrote:

> Hi
>
>> I'm going to suggest that interested parties just write a new
>> package for Sage, after reviewing existing packages, instead
>> of trying to bolt one of the existing packages onto Sage.
>
> I have honestly taken this into account, but there are a couple of
> cons:
> - nobody is volunteering, so the amount of work-time seems very
> limited
> - I don't like to reinvent the wheel, that's why I like SAGE so much
> - I have very limited experience about Python programming (especially
> classes and stuff like that)
> - I would like to take advantage of others' experience about designing
> a package like that
>

>> Unit conversion and dimensions analysis isn't very complicated,
>> so it's probably easier to just write it anew.
>> The existing packages have various features, so someone
>> can just pick and choose the features they want.

Yep, it's not very hard, but it's apparently not very important
either (relative to other stuff going on).

> By the way, do you think is it convenient to create a new wiki page
> about this topic to summarize all this stuff? I have two questions:
> first of all, I don't know how to do that, even if it seems pretty
> easy to modify an existing page. The second question is: on the wiki
> itself, the developers suggest to create a trac ticket with a wish
> list, instead of creating wiki pages. Nonetheless, there is that SEP
> (SAGE Enhancement Proposal) there, which seems a suitable place to
> write.
> Last doubt: is anybody going to read it? :)

A wiki page has a much more permanent and easy to read than an email
thread. A wishlist trac ticket is good for smaller, easily defined
chunks, but not for collaboratively deciding (and recording) what the
plan of attack is. It also makes it easier to pick up and see what
the current status of something is. This is more like a SEP (albeit a
small one) than a ticket.

- Robert