> > > My shit-favourites include Future Ball, Defenders, Sam Strikes Out,
and
> all
> > > those hundreds of really stupid "games" written in Basic. (Of course
> there
> > > are also reasonable games written in Basic, I'm not insulting Basic.)
> >
> > The question was about commerical games - I don't think there were
> hundreds
> > of "stupid" BASIC games released commerically.
>
> Didn't Dave Tonks (of Sam Supplement fame) release "Mind Games" thru
> Revelations (or SamCo, whatever) - compilations of loads of 'stupid
"games"
> written in Basic' as Aley might say.  I'm pretty sure there was a Mind
Games
> I and a Mind Games II ... for all I know it went right up to Mind Games
XXI.

To be honest I like these. I have MG1 and MG2 and also more similarly simple
games written by DATON.
I don't know who is it, but I know his work well. Although I think most of
the games are real shits (sorry), I think some of them are great. You know
you must realize 100 ideas to make one great game.
My favourite Daton's game is Explode. It's a game based on a well known
idea, but in the time it was new (presented on Sam Supplement issue 1 or 2)
I didn't know any other implementation of this game. I played the game with
several my friends many days, weeks, months.....(?)
Also Love Hearts wasn't a bad game, but it's still a Basic one. And my
beloved Basic game is Gemstones. (Can't remember the author, maybe Daton
too?) Another logic game, but this one has really excellent idea.

So, as you know I didn't wrote and don't think ALL Basic games are bad, but
95% of them are.

> Now, having never actually played any of the Mind Games games, I can't
> possibly judge their quality.  However in the early days I thought the Sam
> Basic 'games' and things on Sam Supplement were the mutts nuts!  But
hardly
> commercial material

Mind Games 1 & 2, released by Enigma, written by Daton in Basic. Both
compilations consist of 4 games (as I can remember).

btw, I don't know whether Sam Mines is commercial one, but it is a quite
stupid too. As I remember it is a remake of one very old game (1983?) for ZX
Spectrum. Maybe made by the same author on Sam?

Aley