Yeah, remember that Roddenberry was the first person on TV (to my knowledge) to
have a woman in a significant command role: Number One, who was the second
ranked bridge officer under Captain Pike. People looked to her for advice, she
ran the ship and dictated tactics when Pike was kidnapped by the Talosians. But
the network balked, and the character was scrapped, the actress recast as Nurse
Chapel--not even allowed to be a full doctor. Even the term "Number One"
disappeared until Picard resurrected it in TNG.

The funny thing? Even with that forward-thinking move in the pilot for Star
Trek, sexism was still endemic. In that pilot ep with Pike, he looks at his
female yeoman and grouses "I just can't get used to the idea of a woman on the
bridge". He then looks at Number One and apologizes to her, the idea being she
wasn't really thought of as a "normal" woman. So it was still hard for people
in the 60s to conceive that two centuries hence, women would be considered
equal to men outside of rare circumstances.

I guess that, given the inborn sexism and the censors who couldn't deal with
strong women, Trek still gets credit for trying to advance professional,
capable women. Though the OS backed off on strong commanders, they did deliver
other women who were more than eye candy: there were female officers portrayed
as skilled psychiatrists, lawyers, historians, medical researchers, and
archaeologists.

The one woman who arguably was the highest ranked in OS was the Romulan
Commander in "The Enterprise Incident". She commanded a ship, lead a small task
force, and the Romulan men obviously followed her orders unquestioningly. Yet,
she's then shown becoming "a woman" who loses her mind after Spock macks her,
so again, that 60s sexism rears its head.