<<Do you write say the Wachowski brothers a personal note if you
have a comment about the Matrix novels?

I started to post on her blog, you gotta go through some rigamarole
to register to do it, I am registered on enough stuff on the web, I
decided not to do it. End of story.

She never saw fit to have her name removed from this

http://www.afrofuturism.net/text/lit.html

When you guys see her dressed up with pressed hair like Condoleeza
Rice you will know you heard it from me first.

--- In SciFiNoir_Lit@yahoogroups.com, "sancochojo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> I was debating on if I should stand up in my office cube and
applause.
> I could not have said it better.
>
> You know the old street cliche, "if you have something to say, say
it
> to my face."
>
> Her blog gives everyone the opportunity to challenge her, but to
cower
> away and say "I don't feel like it, blah blah" when asked to write
the
> author back and challenge her yet have all the energy to write
about 6
> or seven post here to talk junk about her, says a lot.
>
> Nora, it isn't crabs in the barrel, its big giant lobster claws in
> barrel.
>

> --- In SciFiNoir_Lit@yahoogroups.com, "Nora" <njem@> wrote:

Hayden
> [...]
> > > finding new strategies to overcome racism and classism.
> >
> > By this definition, Afrofuturism is meant to be an *intentional*
> thing.  Its
> > members must *see* tech and SF as a means of blah blah blah.  If
you
> don't
> > write SF with the intention of exploring the Black experience and
> combatting
> > racism/classism, then you shouldn't be counted as part of the
movement.
> > It's not just being a black person writing SF that qualifies
you.
> Heck, by
> > this definition, you don't even have to be black -- you just
have to
> have
> > that exploratory, developmental purpose in mind.
> >
> > I *am* black, and it permeates everything I do, but I'll be
frank:
> > "exploring the Black experience" is the furthest thing from my
mind
> when I
> > write most of my stuff, even when I'm writing about black
people.
> I'm not
> > trying to combat racism, I'm just trying to have fun telling a
> story.  So if
> > someone tried to stick the Afrofuturism label on me, I would
> probably react
> > in much the same way as Nalo.  "Afro whatism?  *Me*?  Huh?"
> >
> > I think it's a disservice, both to authors and to this nascent
> movement, to
> > hijack people into it.  A movement doesn't *need* to go hunting
for
> members,
> > if it has the ideological strength to grow and develop on its
own; its
> > members will find it, because it serves a need.  But when people
declare
> > that so-and-so's work *must* be Afrofuturism, whether that person
> intended
> > it that way or not, they're trying to bogart her into it.  The
thing
> is, by
> > doing this they make the movement, if indeed it is a movement,
look
> too weak
> > to stand on its own.  It has to coerce its most prominent
members to
> join?
> > That's not a movement, that's Scientology.
> >
> > Even worse, by insinuating that she's a sellout if she doesn't,
any
> > Afrofuturists trying to claim Nalo may effectively achieve the
complete
> > opposite effect, and send her running for the hills.
> >
> > > <<It is not clear what she is saying.  First she says it isn't
> > > movement.  Then if it is she doesn't have anything to do with
it.
> > > Then she admits that she helped start it--whatever it is.
There is a
> > > lot of confusion here that is open to interpretation.
> > > She is in the public eye.  She will be classified,
catgegorized,
> > > turned into a brand folded spindled and mutilated just like
all the
> > > rest, from Plato to Oprah--
> > > It's part of the game--
> >
> > Bullshit.  It's one thing to discuss the probable intentions of
an
> author
> > who's dead, or impossible (for us) to contact, a la Octavia
Butler.
>  But to
> > do this to a woman who's alive, when **you've got her blog right
> there** and
> > you can talk to her directly, and to do it with this deliberately
> insulting
> > polemic, smacks of whispering behind your hand to me.  It's
> disrespectful
> > and cowardly, not to mention catty as hell.
> >
> > You defeat your own purpose by doing this, Chris.  You're
reenacting
> > crabs-in-a-barrell syndrome all over again, sniping at someone
who's
> > successful and trying to make them look bad.  I find that to be
far more
> > "sellout"-ish behavior than anything NH could do by refusing to
> accept some
> > random label.
> >
> > If you want to know what she means, post something in her blog
and
> ask her.
> >
> > Nora

Community email addresses:
Post message: SciFiNoir_Lit@yahoogroups.com
Subscribe:    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subscribe Digest Mode: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Unsubscribe:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SciFiNoir_Lit/

Science fiction and fantasy

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS