John Chambers wrote:

> Toby wrote:
> | John Chambers wrote:
> | > OTOH, some of them understand the differences  very  well,  including
> | > the   march/reel/hornpipe   distinction  and  how  airs  differ  from
> | > strathspeys.  I know a few dance leaders who are clear when they want
> | > hornpipe tunes rather than reels, mostly because it's natural to play
> | > hornpipes a bit slower (104-108 or so) so you can get the semi-dotted
> | > rhythm right. This is is desirable for some dances that are otherwise
> | > too hectic.
> |
> |       I still don't like the way that SCD'ers like strathspeys played. :-) It
> | sounds good with certain strathspeys, but it ruins other ones. It robs
> | them of their drive.
>
> Yeah, but that's nothing compared to what is done to  airs.  I  mean,
> ruining  a  good,  slow, meandering air by playing it in strict tempo
> with neat 8-br phrases -- Jeez!  ;-)

        Oh yes, I forgot about that. Alot of airs need "creative" tempos, in
order to really hit home.

> But no matter what, when playing for dancing, ya does what the  dance
> requires, and make the best of it. You can always play the tune right
> in your living room or for a listening audience.

        Yes, it's always better in your living room. Usually when just a few
people are around. "Wow, did you hear that?" I often think about how I
would like to have a permanent tape recorder in the living rooms of some
of my musical heroes. Imagine what treasures are being lost!