-----Original Message-----
From: Ian Brockbank <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2002 14:53:26 -0000
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: [scots-l] Tempi

> Hi Nigel, et al,
>
> On the terminology side, SCDers do not make many distinctions at all.
> The average SCDer is hard put to distinguish between a "reel" (simple time)
> and a jig (6/8) - subtleties such as hornpipes are beyond them.  In slow
> time, it's just "strathspeys", even when they are slow airs or schottisches
> (though they are always simple time - they can tell a waltz, although it's
> not part of the standard repertoire).
>
> HTH,
>
> Ian

I started dancing after playing this music for a number of years and was surprised to
find that a lot of  people couldn't tell the difference between a jig and a reel; it
was obvious to me!  I agree that in SCD the only real distinction many dancers make is
between "fast" and "slow" dances;  however since the steps don't really change between
the fast dances, one is basically dancing the same dance whether it's a reel, hornpipe
or jig so there's little reason for the average dancer to make any finer distinction
(yes the timing is slightly different but I find a lot of dancers make the adjustment
without realizing they're doing it).  The other thing that I think contributes to this
is that a lot of teachers don't have the luxury of live music in classes and have to
rely on recorded music.  When they teach they may end up using whatever they have on
hand that has the right number of bars and repetitions; if we end up dancing a reel to
jig music, or a strathspey to an air, oh w!
ell! -Steve
--

Steve Wyrick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> -- Concord, California