> I have no recollection of learning sol-fa at school, but it's obvious
> that I did, because it is ingrained; I can "hear" a piece of sol-fa, I
> can sing sol-fa correctly, and with a very small effort can write it
> fairly well. And I'm sure that many other people can as well ...... What
> do you think?

Agreed - I 'heard' this piece the minute I looked at it without even
thinking about it or why it was so easy .. interesting point raised. I
didn't realize how 'ingrained' this technique was, either - this is how we
learned all of our music in the small, one-room rural schools of Ontario
Can. (yes - they existed well into the 1970s!!) The music teachers who
travelled from school to school were experts at this technique, and could
conduct up to 4 part harmony pieces using the 'hand signals' for this
method.
I like the ABC's for their simplicity - but I have to 'translate' them
first - your Tonic was surprisingly automatic. Maybe I DID learn something
in school, after all ..... ;-) .. thanks for the memories!