Nigel wrote:
> It was the precursor of ABC notation in the days long before personal
> computers and the internet. Simple, could be written using a
> typewriter, able to handle accidentals, upper and lower octaves,
> rhythm. I believe Gavin Greig used it in his collecting folk song in
> the North East of Scotland. Sam Henry did the same in Northern Ireland.
> Paddy Moloney of The Chieftains still uses it, I believe.

And Julie Andrews is probably the best known exponent.  Although, I expect
Maloney will take the credit for that too.

Actually, Julie may have based her 'Doh, a deer...' on an old North-East
song which began,

'Dough, a mix, for making bread
Ray, that's me, my name is Ray,
Me, I'm Ray, I'm Ray that's me....'