-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 06 October 2002 13:17
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [scots-l] Music source books

As I've been following this subject with great interest, I've become curious.  Is there a significant difference between the Scottish and the Irish genres?  I play Celtic Music (mainly Irish) on the hammer dulcimer and play a lot of fiddle tunes, generally preferring the slip jigs and tunes with a rhythmic or melodic twist...not much into waltzes and aires.

I'm glad you posted this to scots-l rather than Irtrad-l, otherwise we'd be suffering the fallout for weeks. Most traditional musicians dislike the term "Celtic Music" as it conjures up visions of vapid synthesiser tunes which have very little to do with any tradition.

With regard to the Scottish - Irish issue, you're going to get a variety of responses. I tend to regard both traditions as pretty intermingled, but others will no doubt disagree, normally on political or philosophical grounds, rather than musical ones. Scotland and Ireland are only about fourteen miles apart at the closest point.  Half the population of Western Scotland is of Irish descent and half the popuIation of Northern Ireland (a geographical rather than a political distinction) is of Scots descent.  When you add this to trade links, particularly fishermen and migrant agricultural workers, it's hardly surprising that the two traditions are pretty mixed.

However, we can make some generalisations, all of which have their exceptions.  Most Irish tunes are in D or G, whereas many Scottish tunes (particularly those derived from the highland pipes) are in A. (note to purists: Yes, I do know about modes - I'm trying to keep this simple.) However, musicians in Donegal also play a fair number of tunes in A.

The Reel is generally reckoned to have originated in Scotland and many of the older Irish reels are of Scottish origin. Slip Jigs and Hornpipes are commoner in Ireland than in Scotland, although both exist in Scottish music. Scots play more strathspeys, but fewer polkas, though, oddly enough, many of the tunes played as polkas in the South of Ireland are of Scottish origin.

I am looking forward to summarizing all of your suggestions on the books.  My library includes O'Neill's.  Would anyone want to suggest some neat Scottish tunes from that book...or perhaps, just send some of your playlists to serve as a source list for the individual titles.

I've no doubt that many of the tunes in O'Neills would be of Scottish origin, but I've never seen a list.  One obvious way of finding outwould be to check the tunes against Fleishmann's "Sources of Irish Traditional Music", which would give an indication of where a tune was first published. However, this isn't always a reliable guide to the actual origin of the tune.

I've no doubt others (Nigel?, Jack?, Toby?) whill wish to chime in with their comments.

Regards,

Ted